Tuesday, November 11, 2008

So what do I do?

Well I figured I'd take this time to maybe explain a little about what I've been doing for my training. Not sure if you really know what a Signals Officer is but I'll do my best to explain what I've been doing so far.

On this course we are focusing on more of an officer role, planning and preparing. Last week we were writing orders, and developing Courses of Action "COAs", for a hypothetical scenario. We had to develop communication plans using antennas, satellites, radios, computers, vehicles and troops that would provide a wide range of services to units in a battle field. We had to come up with three options and present them to a commander. Kinda geeky when you think about it, seeing how we aren't using the equipment but simply researching it. So that one of the things that we've been doing. Made for a long week.

Also for the last 6 weeks we've had an assignment to create a CR, basically an office, that would handle all sorts of documents. It had to handle different levels of security and meet a bunch of requirements for rooms, buildings, locks etc. It took alot of time to creat it seeing how we have to ensure that every safety measure to protect information is there. Again Kinda geeky.

In 2 week we start another hypothetical excercise. This time, we get to work in a CP where we basically oversee what is happening on a battle field. We brief anyone that comes in on the situation, letting them know whats happened in the past and what we expect to happen. During this week we'll have to create orders and come up with COAs to present to commanders to provide comms to the fighting units. So yeah thats another thing we do, maybe a little less geeky.

So thats what I got right now. Figured I'd let you all know what I'm doing seeing how I'm sure no one really knows what I'm doing.

7 comments:

Stephanie, Matt, Kaden and Ireland said...

right on! sounds important not geeky

Fiddling Granny said...

Doesn't sound geeky to me, it sounds interesting ... and really important jobs to be done. Way to go.

SusanE said...

It sounds like next week is going to be the fun part of the exercises that you've been doing so far.

Kind of a practice run for the real thing.

I think it sounds interesting and I bet you're actually having lots of fun with it.

I also bet you're rather proud of what you've learned and what you can do. I know I am proud of you.

Cherylinn said...

Geeky....NO WAY! Sounds cool

Anonymous said...

Not Geeky at all brother!! I'm proud of u. you are the man

Homee Dad's View of Life said...

Hey buddy: I agree with everything that has been said to you already.Remember when you were in basic training you talked about the emphisis they were putting on team work. Its all coming to light - you are part of the big team, everyone has a role and their role is important. If they don't step up to the plate with their job the team could be affected.

After all that you must remember one thing - does all of this mean you will never make a mistake - NOT A CHANCE. We all make mistakes. Learn by them when they happen. - More important when someone else realises they have made a mistake - be there for support. Thats what a TEAM does.

I have no doubt you will be known as an Officer who does his best for the team. Cause thats the man you are!

Proud to be your Bud

Homee dad

blah blah blah said...

Megan: Alright so it's about time this man writes something about his LIFE! I must say I'm VERY PROUD of my man.hehe. and yes THomas it's not GEAKY, it is VERY important to be doing those things